Free Training Workshop on Google Earth Engine in Kathmandu
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), in partnership with Google Earth Engine Outreach, will conduct a four-day training workshop on the Google Earth Engine (GEE) platform at its headquarters in Kathmandu, Nepal, under its SERVIR Hindu Kush Himalaya (SERVIRHKH) initiative. The Google Earth Engine Outreach team has conducted a number of such trainings across other SERVIR hubs.
This training will offer participants an opportunity to gain hands-on experience using GEE to complete a series of real-world environmental remote sensing projects for beginners, intermediates and experts. Participants will be able to develop an integrative project that encompasses remotely sensed data inputs, processing and analyses for an environmental scientific investigation.
Although no prior programming experience is required, the course will touch on the basics of select programming languages.
This workshop aims to train professionals from ICIMOD and partner institutions on geospatial data analysis using GEE. In addition to the basic introduction and usage of GEE, the training will cover advanced topics such as mapping and estimation of crop area, vegetation, land use and land cover, and water resources in the GEE environment.
The training workshop will entertain participation from 20 qualified young professionals based in Nepal. Interested candidates may apply for placement using the application form available at this link.
- The deadline for submission of applications is 30 April 2017.
- Queries regarding selection and/or participation will not be entertained.
- Knowledge of geographic information system/remote sensing is desired.
- Applicants should have a university degree (Bachelor’s degree or higher level of education)
- Applications from women and disadvantaged groups are encouraged. The organizers will try to ensure 50% women’s participation.
- The cost of attendance is free. The organizers will not provide travel support towards attending this training.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion on satisfactory completion of the training workshop.
Date: 22 May 2017 to 25 May 2017
Venue: ICIMOD, Kathmandu, Nepal
Contact Persons: Rajesh Thapa
Programmes: MENRIS, SERVIR-Himalaya