Mountains in the Changing World (MoChWo)
The 2nd International Conference on Mountains in the Changing World
Air Pollution: Mechanisms and Consequences
Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences(KIAS) organized the 2nd International Conference on Mountains in the Changing World (MoChWo) with Air Pollution: Mechanisms and Consequences as its thematic area on October 27 and 28 at Radisson Hotel. The program was co – organized by Faculty of Health Sciences, Pokhara University, Kaski, Nepal and Kathmandu Center for Research and Education CAS – TU. KIAS partnered with College of Social Sciences and Department of Geography and City & Regional Planning, California State University, Fresno, CA, USA, Central Department of Environmental Sciences (CDES), Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal, Central Department of Hydrology and Meteorology (CDHM), Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal and Community-based Rainfall Measurement Program, Kathmandu, Nepal to make the program a huge success. The official sponsors of the program were American Society of Mining and Reclamation and Wyoming Reclamation and Restoration Center.
Conservation Science journal will be publishing a special issue of the conference proceedings.
The program saw over 150 participants coming from over 12 different nations. Although the program had a huge diversity, all the participants were held together by a common thread i.e. Air Pollution. Over a period of two days, about 90 oral presentations including 2 key note speakers and 8 invited speakers from China, Australia, Indonesia, USA, Malaysia, Sweden and Nepal. Similarly,the program also gave opportunity to young researchers to present their work in Poster Presentations, of which there were 23.
Altogether, 4 different symposiums were held during the program:
Symposium 1: Smart Carbon Farming Potential
Symposium 2: Sustainable Waste Management in Developing Countries
Symposium 3: HIMALICE: Himalayan Cryosphere:Understanding of Water Resources and Glacier Hazards
Symposium 4: Citizen Science for a Sustainable Mountain Futute:
Apart from the symposiums, various technical sessions were run simultaneously on topics such as Air Pollution: Mechanism and Consequences; Himalayan Biodiversity: Ecology and Conservation; Frontiers of agro-economy and mountain livelihoods; Sustainable Agriculture Practice; Disasters Resilience and adaptation in Nepal; Mountain People and Livelihoods and Mountain People in the Changing World.
To those attending the conference, it was truly a mesmerizing and intensive knowledge cultivation opportunity. It could be observed that the interaction that occurred between the participants presents a future brighter than the past for the Nepalese scientists and students dedicated to environment protection. Furthermore, the concepts drawn during the conference could truly uplift the economy of Nepal and its citizens.
Hence, in a nutshell, KIAS has earned its luck and deserves an standing ovation for not only successfully concluding the conference and also leave this time and period with absolute implications that has changed the lives of most if not all, especially in the knowledge and student outreach fronts.
- Dr. Basant Giri (Convener)
- Dr. Hemu Kafle
- Dr. Bhanu Neupane
- Dr. Susma Giri
- Dr. Rashila Deshar
- Mr. Pushkar Bhusal (Intern)
- Dr. Prakash K. Paudel (Chair), Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences, Nepal
- Dr. Rajan Ghimire, New Mexico State University, USA
- Dr. Binod Pokharel, Utah State University, USA
- Dr. Nabin Malakar, JPL/CalTECH/NASA, USA
- Dr. Basanta Raj Adhikari, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Dr. Peter Stahl, University of Wyoming, US
- Dr. Uttam Babu Shrestha, University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- Dr. Mohan Dangi, California State University, USA
- Dr. Wentao Wang, Ministry of Science & Technology, China
- Dr. Achyut Aryal, The University of Sydney, Australia
- Dr. Anzar Khuroo, University of Kashmir, India
- Dr. Olga Ameixa, University of Aveiro, Portugal
- Dr. Vasileios Bontzorlos, Technology of Thessaly, Greece
- Dr. Sadikshya Rana Dangi, USDA-Agricultural Research Service, USA
- Dr. Thakur Bhattarai, CQ University Rockhampton, Australia
- Dr. Suresh K. Ghimire, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Dr. Jan Sipos, Institute of Botany, ASCR, Czech Republic
- Dr. Ram P. Regmi, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Dr. Tamir Klein, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Dr. Achyut Tiwari, Tri-chandra college, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Dr. Shankar Raj Barsila, Agriculture and Forestry University, Chitwan, Nepal
- Dr. Meghnath Dhimal, Nepal Health Research Council, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Mr. Roshan Ojha (Secretary), Nepal Agricultural Research Council, Nepal
Glimpses of the Conference
BioHubNepal.com congratulates the organizing committee for their tremendous effort and looks forward to the 3rd International Conference on Mountains in the Changing World, 2018.